Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hon Sushi: Japanese and Korean Cuisine on Route 1


Fire Viking Roll
Hon Sushi serves Japanese and Korean cuisine in Lawrenceville, NJ. Owners John and and Kim Lim wanted to offer traditional Japanese and South Korean food but with a modern twist. I recently did a tasting of their menu with several of my foodie friends. I was particularly amazed at the variety in the menu and was informed by the manager that they had specialized chefs for each type of cuisine.




Seaweed Salad
If you are looking to have a start off with something refreshing, try the Seaweed salad.








Shrimp Tempura
On the other hand, if you are craving something fried, try their Shrimp Tempura. I was impressed with their version which was not greasy and reminded me of the Tempura I had tried in Ropongi Hills in Tokyo.






Tuna Tar Tar
My favorite of the evening was the Tuna Tar Tar with a side of avocado salad. There is heavy use of avocado in Hon's food but given that I love avocado, I didn't mind that. Rather, it lent a good textural offset and modern touch in the dishes that I tried.







 
Kalbi Stew
For the main course, I would recommend the Kalbi Stew, especially if you are looking for something hearty. The beef fell off the bones with large chunks of potato, carrots, and shitake mushrooms in a a thick garlic stock. If you are looking to impress your guests over a celebratory dinner, order the Fire Viking Roll where the chef uses vodka to flambé shrimp tempura topped with avocado. The flame not only creates a dramatic visual presentation but also imparts a smoky flavor which is offset by the subtle smooth texture of the avocado and the crispiness of the shrimp tempura. 


Spicy Mexican Roll
If you would rather go for a roll for your main course, try the Spicy Mexican Roll with spicy yellow tail with guacamole sauce. A friend ordered the Shrek Roll and if the name didn't give it away already, this roll had avocado, shrimp tempura and cream cheese roll rolled in a light green soy paper.





Hon has several gluten-free options and vegetarian options on the menu.

Hon's location within Mercer Mall is convenient especially for office-goers. It may not appear at first glance to be a family-style restaurant, but I found it appropriate for a nice night out in town. Check out their full menu at http://www.honsushi.com/ or visit the restaurant at 3349-68 Brunswick Avenue in Lawrenceville, NJ 08648.  Phone:609-269-5800.

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Hope I didn't miss a meet-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy; that tuna tartar looks fabulous...one of my favorite dishes...
    Best,
    Amie
    The Healthy Apple
    www.TheHealthyApple.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I do love Japanese food so delicious I can share this to catering in manila for the menu idea.

    ReplyDelete