Monday, November 29, 2010

Jamón ibérico Tasting (finest flavor of Spain right here in Princeton!)

I had the pleasure of tasting Iberico ham for the first time over this Thanksgiving weekend, courtesy of my guests in town for the weekend, my foodie cousin and her foodie hubby. We indulged in a tasting of Iberico ham (picture courtesy of my brother-in-law), followed by Manchego cheese (also from Spain, courtesy of my hubby Ravi) topped with Peach Spread and Rye crackers topped with Tomato Spread, both of which products I am developing under my condiment line, HerbNZest LLC.

I savoured the way the fat melted in my mouth releasing the nutty, mildly sweet, and exquisite flavors of Jamon Iberico. The first "jamones ibéricos" were released for sale in the United States in December 2007. It is in fact quite rare to find a purveyor that will carry this ham.  Luckily, for us we found it at Bon Appetit specialty stores, right here in Princeton, priced at $96/ pound.




Jamón ibérico, Iberico ham, also called pata negra, is a type of cured ham produced mostly in Spain and is at least 75% black iberico pig. It is the diet of acorn, herbs and grasses,the environment of Spanish counrtyside oak pastures, the genetic make-up and the traditional 2-4 year curing process of the iberico pig that lends to its unique taste. A good source of information about Iberico and the distinction between regular Iberico and Iberico Bellota may be found at http://www.jamon.com/iberico.html.

Try it sometime (sparingly of course) and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment