Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ginger-Cinnamon Squash Soup

Fall is my favorite season of the year. Back in the days, when I worked in Manhattan, I recall loving my walk from the Lexington Avenue E-line to my office on Park Avenue, in my Fall boots and poncho (Fall is also my favorite clothing season!) with the crisp Fall air hitting my cheeks. Now, with the Manhattan life behind me, I still love the Fall season and the change it signifies, beckoning a new year with its beautiful colors: the vibrant oranges, reds and yellows.

I was at Terhune Orchards on Saturday picking up some squash to make one of my favorite recipes for Fall: Ginger-cinnamon squash soup, mellow yet spicy at the same time bringing the perfect combination of sweet and savory warmth to your Fall lunch or supper.



Ingredients:
1 small-medium squash (about 3 pounds) should make 2.5 cups of pulp
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cinnamon powdered
1/2 large onion sliced
1 tbsp ginger root grated
1 tbsp sour cream (optional)
1 tbsp almonds sliced and dry toasted in oven
1 tsp brown sugar
2 cups of water
salt to taste
sprinkle of black pepper

Cooking Method:
Pre-heat oven to broil setting. Half the squash and remove seeds from cavity, baste oil on the surface and broil in oven for 40-45 minutes. Scoop out pulp using a spoon and puree in a food processor. In a saucepan, heat  1 tbsp oil, add onion and ginger and saute until light brown. Add the squash pulp, salt and cinnamon and boil until desired consistency is achieved (About 1/2 cup water should have boiled off). Add sugar and toasted almonds, black pepper and stir. Add sour cream on top (I did not add sour cream to the version in the picture to keep it light). Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment